Forum start - Register
Name Password Forgot your password?

Forum start > web > News > Scary Stuff
Author
Thread
JDOG

Scary Stuff
This I find highly interesting in my nerd mind; however, I also was tempted to turn off my internet and run a virus scan on my computer halfway through (even though I know it would do anything lol). I know I am not a hot girl so there is no need to worry about my photos showing up online, but is there any true protection to these things? I read all the time about how virus scans really don't catch anything and I know that if a decent hacker wanted information from me, he could get it.
3/12/2013 21:12 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
byerspc
Admin

iPad?

It really comes down to what sites you go on and what you download. If you are mainly on big named safe sites you are much safer.

I do know people who only surf on macs, linux machines or vms so the host machine doesn't get infected. I also know people show don't run any antivirus because they just know better.

Things may have changed now but I haven't had to clean off any computers for a long time. It used to be the machines I helped people with had downloaded movies, music or apps from sites they should not be on.

And you are right if someone really wanted to get information about you or private information they can do it without ever needing to hack your computer.

I recommend to most families if they just need to browse the internet they don't need a full machine. Using something like an iPad or probably even a chromebook would be a much safer device with a much smaller chance of being hacked.
3/13/2013 07:54 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
JDOG

Am I correct in saying that Mac's are becoming more susceptible to getting a virus? I was under the impression one of the huge reasons they did not get them was that virus coders just never took the time to do it.

I have not thought of surfing with a VM. That is a really good idea. The only thing I ever worry about is my credit card information. I hardly ever buy anything from a store now a days except for groceries.
3/13/2013 14:56 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
byerspc
Admin

Macs are still probably safer in general because of the way the os is built and the small size of market in corporations. The latest MAC operating system really follows the walled guarded approach and tries to get you to only install apps through the App Store etc. win8 is headed that was too.

The reality is if you ever use a credit card at a restaurant you are taking a risk. A server takes your card and can quickly take pics of your card etc.
Since most CC companies know that they are very good at tracking your purchases and letting you know right away if something is up. I am much more comfortable using a CC than carrying large amounts of cash, personally. We have had companies catch bad purchases right away and not charge our acct etc.
3/14/2013 17:49 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
tr
Admin

http://www.latinospost.com/articles/15000/20130321/os-x-problems-trojan-adware-targeting-apple-mac-systems.htm
3/21/2013 22:54 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
byerspc
Admin

wow

Just curious anyone ever have to clean a mac or linux box from a virus or trojan?
3/25/2013 06:57 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
tr
Admin

not yet
3/25/2013 09:16 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Forum start > web > News > Scary Stuff

Quick reply
You need to login before you can post.