Forum start - Register
Name Password Forgot your password?

Forum start > Tablets > Microsoft > Surface RT Pricing?????
Author
Thread
byerspc
Admin

Surface RT Pricing?????
http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/16/3271243/microsoft-surface-tablet-pricing-availability

Still hoping they give these out at the build conference....gotta think they will since the conference costs 2K and it is on M$ property this year they should have more money to play with. Last year they gave all the attendees a windows 8 tablet that was much more like a PC and included 2 years of 3G data as well.

10/16/2012 07:27 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
tr
Admin

the pricing doesn't make much sense if they want to be competitive
10/16/2012 12:49 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
byerspc
Admin

Got my Surface at Build. I am actually trying to sell it for 499 OBO...it is 599 new since it has the touch keyboard.

Overall it is a good start for msft. I think it feels like first gen software more than first gen hardware. The typecover is much better than the touchcover. I don't think they should have even build the TouchCover. Overall it performs pretty well and the battery life is good. The screen is bright and better than an iPad2 but not as clear as an Retina iPad.

Where it runs into issues is using the "desktop" can be clunky because the touch points are too small. All the office apps that come on the RT device are still really built for a mouse.

I think the surface is closer to a netbook that can be used as a tablet than it is as a tablet. If you need a small device to create content it is not as good as a regular notebook but it will be better than an iPad. If you just want to surf sites the iPad is much better IMO.

I am glad to see the competition and I live with Windows8 UI but they really need to decide if windows 8 is all touch or not because it is really torn. I think Lion has a lot of the same problems but pulls off the "touch" better since you can't actually touch the screen on a mac.
11/5/2012 15:27 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
byerspc
Admin

Down to $200
http://dealnews.com/Refurb-Microsoft-Surface-11-32-GB-Windows-RT-Tablet-for-199-free-shipping/842745.html
8/30/2013 12:21 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
byerspc
Admin

Surface 2
http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/20/4752136/live-coverage-microsoft-surface-2-event-new-york
9/20/2013 11:30 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
byerspc
Admin

bummer was hoping they would adjust pricing more
http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/23/4759902/surface-pro-2-hands-on

They are aiming for the apple iPad and MacBook Air people but M$ hasn't established itself in hardware to compete at those price points.

Surface RT should be 199 or 249
Surface 2 should be 249 or 299
Surface pro and pro 2 need to hit that 499 or 599 price point to be competitive

1700 for a decked out surface pro 2 is way too expensive. IMO
9/23/2013 12:41 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
tr
Admin

i have a hard time thinking of the surface as a tablet. . .and a harder time thinking it is going to be a mainstream device.

i've considered getting one, but i would be using it as a laptop replacement.
9/24/2013 10:03 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
byerspc
Admin

yeah it is really too bad...they are made really well.

The RT/surface 2 is almost more like a chromebook than a full windows machine so it seems like it should be a lot less.

The surface pro should be the future of computing but the cost is too high for me to justify as a personal machine or a laptop replacement at work.

We need to get a home computer eventually but at this point I am not really sure what I will get. My 2006 Macbook still works but the battery in it died and it is not running the current Mac OS. I almost bought a windows 8 laptop a few weeks ago but they ran out of them before I placed my order.
9/24/2013 10:19 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Forum start > Tablets > Microsoft > Surface RT Pricing?????

Quick reply
You need to login before you can post.