Forum start - Register
Name Password Forgot your password?

Forum start > pc > software > Building in Java
Author
Thread
JDOG

Building in Java
Hey guys!! Thanks to Eastern's wonderful academic programs we haven't really been doing much coding there and the coding we do really doesn't help. What good is learning Java if you can't build a java program that doesn't have to have the IDE to run? But that's my question. I have been looking how to run a simple program that took me about 20 minutes to write without the IDE. I have been looking through Google for a few hours now and no success, I even downloaded NetBeans (instead of Eclipse) and that still was a dead end.

Any help??

Just figured it out...Had to edit some environmental variables. Just spend five hours doing something in Java that woulda taken me about 20 minutes in VS. Eastern must not like advancement

(Last edit:: 7/3/2011 17:10)
7/3/2011 14:57 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
tr
Admin

how old are your teachers?
7/3/2011 22:06 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
JDOG

I can only think of one under that age of fifty probably. I'm kinda of the mindset that we should be learning stuff like VS in school instead of Java. I've talked to a few people about it and the almost scoff at VS because it's "to easy." Most of the professors have never even touched it. EMU uses Java, which is a good language, but I'm in my last semester and we never even touched something as simple and ordinary as building it so it can actually be used outside of the IDE, not to mention we haven't done any sort of GUI stuff, all just code...
7/4/2011 11:20 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
byerspc
Admin

This is just my opinion but...

I am glad you aren't really using VS. It is important to learn concepts in college so you can apply them later and not important to learn specific syntax/IDEs

VS gets in the way of learning how to program. It is not uncommon for CS departments to teach java or C++ in linux with not much of an IDE at all.

We have legacy code that still is done in C++ in linux and I have a feeling it is still pretty common based on the stuff I hear.

Another reason why colleges stay away form M$ is the licensing and type of equipment they need. I would like to see colleges start offering classes that teach Ruby though so they can teach good TDD.

The java devs around here generally use netbeans.

7/5/2011 08:09 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
JDOG

I'm encouraged to hear you say that. I have been wondering how helpful what we've been learning will be. I know that pretty much any job you get your going to learn most of what your going to use there. I also looked at some of the most used programming languages and Java was among the top three so that was encouraging. I kinda view it as putting in my time and trying to remember these algorithms and stuff just in case I may one day need them
7/5/2011 13:51 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Sniper Mike

A lot of applications that my company uses are developed in Java. A lot of our teams have J2EE developers. My current employment does have a variety of developement langugues used some include: cobalt, java, c++, .net, and a few others. I think Java and C++ are great languages to know as they are pretty common from what I can see.

Mr. Byers, WSU does have a Ruby course but not so good of a teacher for it so I didn't take it.

"Google is a great site!"
7/8/2011 15:43 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
byerspc
Admin

Too bad ruby is the language of choice for most start ups or newer web companies. I wish I knew it but C# is pretty common too
7/8/2011 21:55 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Forum start > pc > software > Building in Java

Quick reply
You need to login before you can post.