Forum start - Register
Name Password Forgot your password?

Forum start > miscellaneous > misc support > Phone
Author
Thread
MiKeKWalKs

Phone
What are the advantages and disadvantages to a black berry pearl compared to a pda phone?

is the PDA phone worth the extra money?
3/4/2008 21:33 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
byerspc
Admin

a lot of it is going to depend on your service provider etc. I can give some info on the blackberry but I don't and haven't owned a windows mobile smartphone so I can't speak for those.

The blackberry runs its own operating system with its own UI. The nice part about this is they have been doing it longer than anyone else so it is very stable and user friendly but there are not a ton of extra applications you can go out and get for free (there are some) but there are probably more for windows mobile.

The blackberry is primarily used for texting/emailing and that is what it is best at. i don't know that any other smart phone can do it as well. It is not the best for browsing the Internet etc but can do it.

The blackberry does offer the calendar, task, contact integration that can sync with many different types of calendars etc...for instance it syncs with my mac whereas windows mobile 6 devices wouldn't.

One of the issues with the blackberry and I think other smartphones is many times the service provider will force you to have a blackberry or smartphone plan to even own one...They may do this in several ways. For the blackberry some services only work if you have a blackberry plan even though the service may be something that you would be able to get on a different device. (picture messaging, IM etc.)

If you find that you are going to text a lot the blackberry is great. If you are going to keep calendar info on your phone and that is really all you need the PDA part for there are lots of regular phones that allow for that integration without being a full blown PDA.
3/5/2008 05:15 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
MiKeKWalKs

What about battery life is that pretty high?
3/5/2008 10:07 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
tr
Admin

i use a pda phone now and i like just about everything about it. the major complaint i would have with it is that once you load several applications, it takes a few seconds to totally boot up. . .which is a pain if a call is coming in and you are trying to answer it.

i like the interface on the pda phone over blackberry and definitely like the free apps/games you can get for it. it also does a lot better job of syncing my calendar/contacts than other phones i have used. the popout keyboard is easier for me to use than the older-style of the treo (big fingers).

not sure what pda phones would sync with a mac other than an iphone, but if you ever work for a company with exchange, the mobile6 phones can sync directly with exchange, whereas the blackberry phones require an extra server to integrate exchange with the devices.

battery life has been great so far. i've had the phone for over a month and have only charged it twice (yes, i leave it on all day/all night). i do not use it as a phone much, but i do use it for checking calendar, checking email, browsing through wifi and of course i play games on it.
3/5/2008 11:01 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
byerspc
Admin

Battery life is great on my pearl..
UI may be a taste thing.
The bb has everything for you on one screen that you can quickly get to via their scroll guy, which is sweet.
WM phones run windows. nuff said. I didn't like having to click the windows button to view my apps and I didn't want to have to touch the screen etc.

If you want more apps WM is the way to go.

Who is going to include the iphone in this discussion...who has one?

3/5/2008 11:21 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
tr
Admin

cornwall has one and brady rees has one. . .but he hasn't checked in here yet. losing participation points left and right.

does the pearl have a touch screen?
3/5/2008 12:47 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
cds0528
Researcher

mikes got verizon though, so for him the iphone isnt going to happen (locked or unlocked), since verizon is cdma...
3/5/2008 15:24 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
byerspc
Admin

nope the pearl doesn't have a touch screen...not sure if any bb does...i just know some WM do.

The pearl using a glowing circle thing that is really cool...at first I thought it was like an eraser on a laptop...but it isn't. You don't really push on it you just glide over it...almost like those old mice that had balls on the top.
3/5/2008 15:46 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
byerspc
Admin

did anyone see the video about the iphone sdk?

Now supports exchange natively...
If I had a good idea of an app (I am not too creative)
I would so start developing for the iphone...you could make a fortune selling the apps on itunes.
If it is a good app and only costs a few bucks people will buy them like crazy.
3/7/2008 15:57 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
S7even

well when i First got the iphone it was amazing for about a week, then started to get used to it and it got old you know how that goes, but probally 3 months ago, i unlocked it using ziphone. Which as Mr. Smith said in his previous post that you can have free apps, games, etc. The Touch screen is what i have to have. I like the Email right there, and mine has no problem booting up if you have a lot of stuff installed. It takes about 30 seconds to turn on no matter if it was unlocked or not. The battery life is actually pretty amazing for the screen size i think it lasts probally just under 2 days for me i listen to music inthe moring for about 5 hrs. but the screen goes black, and calling and stuff i dont have a problem with it. The closest thing to the iphone that verzion makes is probally the voyager, which still doesnt have the os that is like a pda. Normal cell phone type (whatever it is) It just has a screen and maby some extra apps. And probally the final thing that i can think of now is the web broswer that is not super restrictive it allows you to do a lot of things with the built in extenctions.
3/20/2008 13:49 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Forum start > miscellaneous > misc support > Phone

Quick reply
You need to login before you can post.