Forum start - Register
Name Password Forgot your password?

Forum start > Networking > TroubleShooting > Sharing over the network
Author
Thread
JDOG

Sharing over the network
I have my two computers connected via wi-fi. I haven't worked hours on it but I can't seem to get printer sharing and file sharing on my network. I have two XP Home computers. Is it even possible to do sharing with XP Home? And may there be a program or something that could help me out? If not how do I do it?
3/6/2007 07:19 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
byerspc
Admin

I believe you can with XP home. You need to make sure you enable file and print sharing in the windows firewall first. Then click on the printer or folder/drive you want to share and choose to share it. Also you want both machines to be in the same workgroup/generally seems to make it work better. Sometimes the wifi sharing can be flakey and that is where a program like hamachi can help, especially if you are not using static IPs.

Troubleshooting
As you are working on it make sure you can ping each machine
try going to the other computer through network neighborhood
try going via ip \\192.168.1.?? or \\ip\c$ etc.
3/6/2007 07:26 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
cds0528
Researcher

You can definitely do it, but I agree it's like pullin teeth tryin to get a network setup and get it to keep working, I finally gave up- too much work. I'm told Vista does a much, much better job of this. byerspc you're the only one who's run vista, does it really do a better job?
3/6/2007 09:36 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
tr
Admin

it isn't an xp thing, just an xp home thing. xp pro and media edition handle file sharing as well as win 2k and nt.
3/6/2007 10:06 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
byerspc
Admin

I haven't used vista enough to know but I would assume it is much better at file sharing as it follows more closesly to Media center and xp pro...My inlaws are using all xphome and it is working fine for them once I set it up. I have found that wireless networking can be problematic so we had to do hamachi to get it to work.
3/6/2007 20:34 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Forum start > Networking > TroubleShooting > Sharing over the network

Quick reply
You need to login before you can post.