Forum start - Register
Name Password Forgot your password?

Forum start > miscellaneous > misc support > Password Protecting Web Directories
Author
Thread
cds0528
Researcher

Password Protecting Web Directories
Okay, here's the situation, I've got a friend I know here, who is here working for a pea company based in Canada... sounds weird but its true. Basically he has two sections of his site for contracts and news. He wants these directories to be private. I know through FTP access (it's a linux server for sure, presumably apache, but its on a shared hosting site so I'm not 100% sure its apache) you can usually password-protect a directory, which would be okay for a temporary solution, but first, how secure is that? I would assume it would be decent enough being a linux server, especially on kinda of a lower-key site, but I don't know if it's maybe something thats really easily cracked (overall i'm not too concerned about this, if it took any effort at all it wouldn't really be worth it). Basically he would like to make it so once a customer hits a certain order size they get a username and password (or something similar to this), so that presumably could also see that at 2pm on saturday X logged in. basically i'm asking how tough is this to do and how do I do it for him. He gave me a CD with all the site files (html files, images, etc, basically the entire version you'd upload via FTP), so I've got access to all that stuff... This isn't anything that needs to be rushed, it's something I'd like to learn and at the same time he has the need for something like this, thanks
1/22/2007 05:27 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
No answers
Forum start > miscellaneous > misc support > Password Protecting Web Directories

Quick reply
You need to login before you can post.