Name Password Forgot your password?

Forum start > Phone > Misc. > Not looking good for RIM
Author
Thread
byerspc
Admin

Not looking good for RIM
http://gizmodo.com/5606204/blackberry-services-now-switched-off-in-saudi-arabia

My brother was saying a few months ago that RIM has pretty much everything go through them when there is no need for a lot of it to go through them. Have so much email etc go through them is a huge security concern for companies even in the U.S.
8/6/2010 11:01 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
tr
Admin

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2010/08/google-android-apple-iphone-sales-mobile-att-verizon.html

notice the steadily declining rim line.
8/8/2010 14:21 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
byerspc
Admin

Yeah I think rim was hurt when iPhone went corporate. Now that apple is excepted in the biz world android probably will be too
8/8/2010 16:59 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
tr
Admin

android 2.2 was mostly focused on making it corporately-acceptable.
8/8/2010 22:25 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
cds0528
Researcher

there's nothing really compelling at all about blackberries anymore...
8/9/2010 12:48 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
byerspc
Admin

I don't know that I agree with that...even the prez is using a BB.

I think most companies prefer having a singular vendor to deal with and BB gives them that.

Our company only supports BB and iPhone for company issued phones because it is too much work to support every kind of smartphone out there.
8/9/2010 13:34 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
cds0528
Researcher

what's the draw for them though? what about a blackberry is superior to the iphone 4? i don't see anything... same goes for the top android devices. that companies prefer them isn't really a good reason right..? businesses are ALWAYS more prone to just go with what they know, so familiarity is the ONLY thing i can think of... lets say you were running your own company and were buying smart phones for some of your employees that needed them. what about a blackberry would make you choose that over the iphone or a droid x?

and that's not even talking about the consumer side... maybe there's an argument to be made about the whole business side of things (i'm too ignorant on the topic to be able to say very well), but i dont see at all why an average consumer would get a blackberry at all. the UI's are, in general, painful... the traditional blackberry keyboard is awful compared to your typical phone keyboard...

sure RIM is THE pioneer of the smart phone industry, but i don't see much improvement lately...
8/9/2010 14:33 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
byerspc
Admin

Companies choose a lot of times based on what people and especially support is familiar with. If a company has invested in bb and a bb server they tend to want to stick with what they know. If they introduce an iPhone that at least gives them one more option but to go android means you really open yourself up since lots of different phones can run android and no one model is going to be around for more than six months.
If I were making the decision I would have a hard time saying get any smartphone you want and we will support you and your apps
I wouldn't want to support anything that is jail broken for sure.

The blackberry I had was way better than any other smartphone on the market at the time the interface is great for testing and doing email or any biz use. The new os is suppose to be nice too but I have not seen it.

Many people that have used bb love the keyboards as well. I think they have by far the best physical keyboards on the market.

I think rim has to innovate but I wouldn't write them off just yet. Remember most companies don't let users pick laptop or desktop equipment and that carries over to biz phones more times than not.
8/9/2010 20:34 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
cds0528
Researcher

i honestly can NOT figure out why people love the BB keyboards, i think they're terrible.
8/9/2010 21:56 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
byerspc
Admin

which models have you used? I am curious

Curve, Pearl?
8/10/2010 08:22 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
cds0528
Researcher

i guess i'm talking in general - but for example, the bold:

http://www.puremobile.ca/insiderblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/iphone-vs-blackberry-bold.jpg

(note - no idea what that site is, got the picture off google images)

that style of keyboard is fairly distinct to blackberry... i've tried using multiple blackberries that have that kind of keyboard, and it's just painful. i think the newer models have gotten a bit better, but compare that picture to this (env touch), the phone i have:

http://www.slashphone.com/media/data/796/lg_env-touch_lowres1.jpg

keys are actually not flat at all like they kind of look in that picture btw... i can text without looking with fairly good accuracy (for a keyboard anyways, nothing like you can do with T9).

but the BB keyboard - there's no space between the keys like that, the buttons are smaller, and honestly i dont like the buttons that much to begin with - just the feel of them. though i'm sure thats something that would go away with use - its more the tiny cramped keyboard thats my thing. and actually (i think?) the bold is one of the better BB keyboards if i'm remembering right..?
8/10/2010 09:34 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Forum start > Phone > Misc. > Not looking good for RIM

Quick reply
You need to login before you can post.