Forum start - Register
Name Password Forgot your password?

Forum start > Linux > Software > Linux Server
Author
Thread
JDOG

Linux Server
So, just for fun I would like to make a network, like a real kind of network, not just one you can broadcast internet access with. I got this sweet book about Ubuntu and I was wondering if Ubuntu is also A NOS? Also, can a desktop act as a server? I'm taking a networking class but they are all into the OSI model and stuff right now and not to the good stuff of actually doing it. I wanted to set up a server using Ubuntu. Is this possible? And if it is, what kind of things would I be looking at getting/using?
9/21/2008 18:51 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
tr
Admin

i've never thought about using ubuntu as server software, but they do have a version just for that (http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/serveredition). any machine can be a server, but with low end specs you might eventually overload it too easily (depending on what you are using it to serve and how many users are tasking it at the same time).

if you are looking to buy server hardware, dell has a lot of inexpensive options. . .but for testing purposes, just use a desktop.
9/21/2008 20:48 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
JDOG

Well, I ain't doing much and I only got a few computers that would be on it. So, I figured that if I had a good amount of RAM and an ok processor I would be ok. But I guess time will tell.
9/21/2008 22:24 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
tr
Admin

let me know how it works out for you. i may know of a small business in the area that could use that type of setup.
9/22/2008 09:40 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
byerspc
Admin

You shouldn't need much in a linux server depending on how you are using it. If it is just for authentication or file serving you should be fine. In the past most linux server operating systems have been very slim. RedHat, for instance, always let you run it without the UI which really helped.

side note:
Funny my Father-in-law got so upset with windows xp sp3 he is thinking about having me setup ubuntu on their home desktop :-)
9/22/2008 12:01 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
cds0528
Researcher

i've thought this would be fun (and even useful) to do too... let us know how it goes
9/23/2008 16:29 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Forum start > Linux > Software > Linux Server

Quick reply
You need to login before you can post.