Forum start - Register
Name Password Forgot your password?

Forum start > Networking > Hardware > unscientific test fyi
Author
Thread
byerspc
Admin

unscientific test fyi
I am setting up a wireless network out in the corn fields...about 5 locations in all (houses/barn etc.)

Anyway I tested at my house with a linksys N and a linksys G router to see if the mimo technology in the N would help the distance compared to a regular G...and even my G with an external 6dbi antenna.

Sure enough I found that the N did quite a bit better than the regular G and slightly better than my G with an external.

If you are buying a router anytime soon. I think I would go with N...and maybe even N with the gigabit switch to get future proof. For those scared of draft N...I wouldn't be. By now the draft is probably close enough to the final version that any changes would just be firmware downloads.

4/14/2008 20:08 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
cds0528
Researcher

good to know, i wondered about that specifically, the difference between an N and a G w/ an antenna...
4/15/2008 21:15 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
byerspc
Admin

yeah the only thing I can really think of is the MIMO technology that is in them must help the G range too.
4/15/2008 21:46 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Forum start > Networking > Hardware > unscientific test fyi

Quick reply
You need to login before you can post.