Forum start - Register
Name Password Forgot your password?

Forum start > web > new features > GMail Updates
Author
Thread
cds0528
Researcher

GMail Updates
For those who haven't noticed, gmail has finally added IMAP... at least for most people. It started showing up in people's accounts about a week ago, but I'm one of the unlucky few who haven't gotten it yet (I was an early user too, not fair...). I also saw this story on slashdot:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202800313

Apparently GMail has just started rolling out a new version... here's a few screenshots:

http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2007-10-29-n47.html

I'll probably be the last person to see the update yet again, but it's nice to see an update finally to gmail. It's funny though, people are calling this "GMail 2.0," but it's technically still in beta (for about 14 years and counting).
10/31/2007 10:03 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
tr
Admin

a friend of mine tried imap last week and eventually got locked out of gmail. he is back in now, but it was a nightmare for him. i asked him to blog about it and i will post a link here if/when he does.
10/31/2007 10:16 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
cds0528
Researcher

Yeah, I've heard GMail's initial roll-out of the IMAP was a nightmare and just didn't go well (very buggy), so that's probably why I haven't gotten it yet...

The best thing about gmail is that it works so well and its so quick and light (yet still has handy features), that i can't use anything else. at first I was afraid they'd make gmail bloated by adding new stuff, but somewhere in the thing it said the biggest changes is making it run smoother and faster, which is always good... the thing runs faster than outlook it seems, and when the remote program is running faster than the local one...
10/31/2007 10:35 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
byerspc
Admin

I read today that google is talking to verizon to put there software on verizon phones...apparently tmobile has already signed a deal.
10/31/2007 18:31 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
tr
Admin

my friend sent this email:

got mine to work
couple special features to note
1) the annoying one is several hundred messages moving to trash. i recovered them, but i don't know what causes them to go to trash in the first place. when you move them to inbox and then archive, the clients with the recent:username go berzerk . . . be careful else you get locked out.
2) imap email totals not matching with gmail totals--this has to do with way of counting. gmail counts conversations that thread, email programs (thunderbird) don't
3) this is about as annoying as #1 . . . but some people in help groups also report with large numbers of email (3000+) that imap headers in your email don't match. the emails aren't deleted (they show up on the web), but they just don't show up in the headers. i copied messages from another folder and reindexed the imap headers and all was hip . . . painstaking . . . but i guess it all works.

i tried this with two accounts. no problem with one with about 200 messages 70mb. bigger problems with the the 5000 messages 600+ mb.
11/1/2007 10:36 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
cds0528
Researcher

I've got the new version of GMail, but it's virtually identical... the biggest thing I'm noticing is it's definitely faster, and a few things looks nicer, but if you weren't looking for it you wouldn't really notice it...
11/7/2007 23:13 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
JDOG

http://www.cnet.com/au/news/google-unveils-gmail-alternative-inbox/

I thought that GMAIL already tried to revolutionize the inbox once before. Didn't they like split it into three parts or something and automatically categorize it for you? Maybe it is only because I am OCD about making sure I have no unread messages in my email that I start to get upset that people want to change my Inbox habits lol.
10/22/2014 15:47 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
byerspc
Admin

yeah I would like to try that gmail inbox thing but I haven't received an invite yet....we use google for your domain here and am interested to see how it all works.
10/23/2014 12:49 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Forum start > web > new features > GMail Updates

Quick reply
You need to login before you can post.