Forum start - Register
Name Password Forgot your password?

Forum start > Networking > Hardware > LAN port problem, I think
Author
Thread
JDOG

LAN port problem, I think
For some reason or another if my computer has been on for a while it will not let me access the internet or get on my network. If I restart it, it works fine but not if I leave it on for an extended period of time. I did a system restore, that didn't work. I then did a Windows repair, that seemed to work for about a day or two. I still have that problem, although the repair helped it out by about a few hours or so. Any ideas? I have considered formatting but that is a pain, although it would probably help. Could it be a problem with the hardware? But I always tend to blame Windows before anything else.
1/23/2007 23:33 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
cds0528
Researcher

XP? wired or wireless (if wireless try to update your wireless drivers- i had a similar problem)?
1/23/2007 23:42 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
byerspc
Admin

if it works when you restart it sounds like an ip issue. Have you tried just releasing and renewing your ip when it doen't work? It could be you don't have a valid ip or that you have duplicate ips or something
1/24/2007 06:42 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
JDOG

cds it is a wired connection to my router. and it is on xp. I will try to release the ip and i'll give you an update, thanks.
1/24/2007 12:10 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
byerspc
Admin

I have found that sometimes dhcp doesn't work well on the cheaper routers so you may have to set a reserver for it or give it a static...
1/24/2007 18:49 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
byerspc
Admin

FYI I have had this same problem at my house and have pinpointed it to have the wireless on and the older apple computers trying to get on but the reserve really has helped us.
1/24/2007 18:52 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
JDOG

Forgive me ignorance, but how do you set this reserve and what does it do? Cause I tried releasing and renewing the IP address and it didn't work.
1/25/2007 07:29 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
byerspc
Admin

you did get a new ip then? when you released and renewed?

Depending on your router the reserve acts kind of like a static and give that particular mac address the same IP every time. You could also give the machine a static address that is above or below the dhcp addresses you are dishing out.
1/25/2007 18:30 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Forum start > Networking > Hardware > LAN port problem, I think

Quick reply
You need to login before you can post.